Charley’s Kitchen Version of Moroccan Stew[print_link] While at one of our favorite local restaurants, Fig Good Food, I tried a dish of Moroccan Stew. I liked it a lot and found myself ordering it again and again. Well, I went to the internet and looked up at least a half dozen versions of Moroccan Chick Pea Stew. With that input and my alterations for local conditions and local availability, I created Charley’s Kitchen version of Moroccan Stew which has been quite popular! Now you can create that same dish at your place. Enjoy!
Get that Crockpot out and put it on Low. I like the slow cooking method myself. This filles the house with wonderful smells.
Add these to the Mix:
- 2 Cans Garbanzo Beans (rinsed well)
- 2 Cans Red Kidney Beans (rinsed well)
- 2 Cans Pinto Beans (rinsed well)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more or less – some like it hot, some do not)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 big cans (28-ounce) diced tomatoes, juice and all!
- 6 carrots diced small pieces
- an equal sized pile of yam or sweet potato (Some prefer Potatoes – Your Choice)
Use olive oil to Saute the following:
- One medium yellow or brown onion – Sauteed
- One medium purple onion – Sauteed
- 3 cloves of garlic minced and Sauteed
- 2 jalapenos seeded and minced and Sauteed
Saute till tender and add to the Crockpot. Make sure everything is covered in sauce – This usually means adding a few cups of water.
Eat in about 3 hours – when the carrots and Yams are tender.
Add a bunch of chopped cilantro and Lets Eat!